Kentucky Derby Betting
Each year, the Kentucky Derby attracts huge betting turnover as everyone from racing fanatics to those who dont pay much attention to racing during the rest of the year wagers on the likely winner. Betting on a possible Triple Crown winner is also very popular, especially in years when likely contenders for this feat are part of the field.
Kentucky Derby Betting Tips
The Kentucky Derby odds, or tote board, is probably the first place to look when youre trying to pick a winner. However, it pays to do some extra research. In Kentucky Derby history, only about a third of the 133 races run so far have been won by horses that entered the races with the best Kentucky Derby odds.
A good betting tip is to start by identifying the contenders with the best Kentucky Derby odds and then to narrow down the list by checking each of these horses credentials.
You should check that:
- A horse has raced within a month prior to the Kentucky Derby the last horse to win without racing within 35 days of the Kentucky Derby was Needles in 1956.
- The horse has performed well winning or coming second in a recent race of a similar distance. Horses may perform well over one distance but poorly over another.
- The horse was raced and performed well as a two-year-old in Kentucky Derby history its almost unheard of for a horse that didnt race as a two-year-old to win.
- The trainer and jockey for the horse have won or achieved places in most of their previous races.
- The jockey for a horse hasnt been changed, and the jockey and horse work together well as a team with wins in previous races over similar distances.
The Dosage System
In Kentucky Derby betting and odds, many take the ancestry of horses into account. If stallions from the first four generations of a horse’s line showed particular speed and stamina, that horse will have a higher number of points in whats known as the dosage index. A rating of 4.00 points or less indicates a top horse, or chefs de race.
Only four horses with dosages higher than 4.00 have ever won the Kentucky Derby although all in recent times. They include Strike The Gold in 1991, Real Quiet in 1998, Charismatic in 1999 and Giacomo in 2005.
Beyer Speed Figures
Washington Post turf columnist Andrew Beyer ranks horses based on their speed on different tracks on different days. A high Beyer number at least in theory identifies a faster horse.
Kentucky Derby Betting Options
You can choose to bet on an outright race winner, on positions in the Kentucky Derby, or on a combination of winner and position. A combination bet gives you a better chance, although the stakes will be smaller.
You can also choose to place your Kentucky Derby bets well in advance of the race, instead of among the crowds at totes on the day.